Principal Business Systems Analyst HRIS - Successfactors
Location: Washington D.C., VA, MD, DC Metro Area
The role is a subject matter expert aligned to the Human Resources (HR) business partner group and will play a pivotal lead role in HR’s move to a cloud-based human resources information system (HRIS) by implementing SAP SuccessFactors Employee Central. The role serves as the primary liaison between the HR, vendors, internal implementation teams and other stakeholders.
Serves as a subject matter expert on a collaborative team. The Principal BSA collaborates closely with business partners to identify improvement opportunities that can be realized through technology solutions and leads activities to define, analyze and document associated requirements. The role assists in driving design, development, enhancement and testing of complex IT solutions and takes a lead role in the requirements and testing phases. The Principal BSA takes initiative and collaborates to resolve urgent problems, and acts with limited authority based upon subject matter expertise. Directs, mentors and coaches lower-level analysts leading by example with process design and improvements. Provides appropriate platform knowledge that is leveraged throughout the system development life cycle (SDLC), including business requirements, functional specification, testing, deployment, and support hand-off. May be allocated to one or more enterprise project initiatives of moderate to high complexity.
- Ability to recommend best most-efficient technology solutions for complex business processes with a focus on process simplification and employee experience
- Partner closely with HR to identify, enhance and implement efficient business processes that leverage system automations and optimize employee experience and provide business leaders with the data needed to make informed decisions.
- Ability to deploy SuccessFactors solution with an unwavering focus on hire to retire processes
- Ability to manage requirements, configuration, and testing to make an impact in advancing business objectives
- Ability to acquire in-depth knowledge of existing business processes and systems, documenting processes as needed
- Stay up-to date on industry best practices and capabilities of the SuccessFactors modules
- Identify risks and issues, and mitigation plans throughout the project lifecycle
- Collaborates with business and IT subject matter experts to facilitate development of business cases and cost/benefit or return on investment analysis to justify IT initiatives/projects.
- Leads process mapping sessions with business subject matter experts to document as-is and to-be processes, narratives, gap analysis and roadmaps.
- Leads planning sessions related to projects or new technologies to implement process improvement within the functional area.
- Leads requirements gathering, analysis and documentation including business/functional requirements, use cases, user stories, business rules, data dictionaries, and other information or processes required to describe system changes supporting design, development, QA, UAT, RFI/RFP, enterprise architecture planning, and technical specifications.
- Based on business case and defined requirements, and in collaboration with Architecture and other technical teams, provides recommendations and/or proposed solutions to maximize business outcomes and performance.
- May develop system diagrams to illustrate the conceptual application/technology landscape and data or process integration between systems; may overlay such diagrams with business process flows to illustrate process/system interactions
- Perform package application functional configuration activities as needed.
- Collaborates with Architecture and other technical teams to design and develop new systems.
- Devises and documents testing approaches and test plans, and sequences end-to-end testing to ensure that the systems work as expected during enhancements.
- Leads the development of test plans, test cases, user stories, use cases, and traceability matrix
- Facilitates User Acceptance Testing including data setup, environment setup, scheduling, training, etc.
- May lead data migration activities and ensures that the verification/test plan addresses all known scenarios and risks.
- Develops training materials and trains the system’s end-users; documents instructions, support procedures, troubleshooting tips, and Knowledge Base articles for Service Desk and Tier 2 support teams prior to go-live and during hypercare support periods.
- May serve as Scrum Master on projects
- Orchestrates the collaboration of multiple business and IT groups across Amtrak to support system architecture, software development and testing.
- Advises or provides input to other technical disciplines on design, development, enhancement, and testing of assigned information technology systems.
- Provides significant platform knowledge during maintenance or enhancements.
- Consults with business stakeholders and IT service owners to determine the role of the IT system in an organization prior to design or enhancement activities to assess functional change.
- Establishes liaison relationship with business partners and IT departments in order to provide process solutions to meet user needs.
- Researches and recommends emerging technologies that could increase the organization’s efficiency and effectiveness.
- Investigates, resolves and escalates problems. Monitors and analyzes metrics to ensure customer satisfaction and vendor performance.
- May facilitate gate reviews, change advisory boards and IT operational readiness review meetings.
- Promotes an understanding of IT Service Management roles, processes and activities to business units and IT departments. May support and participate in formal Amtrak reporting.
- May lead small to medium-sized projects, serving in a Project Manager capacity in addition to a BSA role.
- May manage the sourcing and selection process for third-party software and other technology components.
- May assist in collaborating with the business to prioritize business technology initiatives as input to the annual planning and budgeting process.
- May lead Organizational Change Management plan and activities, in coordination with the business and IT OCM
- Experience with leading HCM/HRIS applications is required
- 7 years required (9 years preferred) experience as a Business or IT Systems Analyst in the Human Resources area
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Business Management, Systems Engineering or other related field plus 7+ years relevant (business/systems analyst) work experience or 11+ years relevant work experience or in subject matter expert (business analysis) capacity required to satisfy education and experience requirements.
- Experience with IIBA guidance and approach to requirements development/ management
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, and the capability to present confidently at various levels from project teams to Executive leadership
- Strong interpersonal and team-building skills, works well with others in an integrated team environment, and must be self-motivated
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills
- Broad knowledge of multiple computer environments, platforms and technologies and in-depth knowledge of the enterprise’s products
- Extensive experience and proven track record facilitating, defining and documenting business process maps (swim lane format preferred), business/functional requirements, use cases, user stories, technical specifications, test plans, test cases, test scripts, and test results
- Skill in effectively serving as a primary point of contact between IT technical staff and the enterprise’s service owners and business stakeholders
- Extensive experience with packaged software and enterprise solutions
- Broad knowledge and experience with a variety of collaboration, requirements, testing and support methodologies
- Experience with development and reporting of Key Performance Indicators and knowledge of industry best practice/industry benchmarks
- Vendor management experience; proven experience overseeing vendor resources conducting process mapping, business analysis, requirements analysis, and/or testing
- Experience with Agile methodologies (SCRUM/SAFE) and techniques
- Ability to create and document Amtrak’s Project Life Cycle Management (PLM) artifacts and key process steps
- Fluent in standard business process notation such as BPMN
- Demonstrated experience in COTS or packaged software implementation and integration projects.
- Ability to translate technical issues to non-technical audiences.
- Ability to do general troubleshooting for existing information systems or desktop applications to identify errors or deficiencies
- Experience managing the sourcing and selection process for third-party software and other technology components and services including drafting Request for Proposals (RFPs), Work Requests/Statements of Work (SOWs), and Request for Information (RFI), and facilitating the scoring and selection of products/vendors
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office 365 including Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Project, and Visio
- Advanced skills with BA tool sets including Jira, Confluence, Tableau and HP Quality Center
- Experience with Success Factors Employee Central or other modules is strongly preferred
- Master’s degree in Information Technology, or equivalent.
- Business Analysis certification from IIBA, IQBBA or PMI (PBA, CBAP or equivalent)
- Certified ScrumMaster (CSM) qualification
- System and or platform certifications, as appropriate.
- Experience with Lean, Six Sigma or other process improvement methodologies
- Project management experience