ASAP Talent Services is the nations leading SAP Focused search firm. Our SAP Recruiting Team has been placing SAP Professionals at all levels with over 80 of the world's leading companies for over 18 years! We look forward to helping you accelerate your career.
Client Summary: A global manufacturing and services company with HQ in Pittsburgh, PA.
Business Need / Purpose of Role
The SAP Director will have responsibility for the maintenance of the end-to-end Solution Architecture of the entire ERP program by leveraging the SAP product suite (ECC 6.0: FI, CO, MM, PP, SD, CS, entire functional team and ABAP Development Team), and by leading and managing functional and technical SAP experts with a deep focus on operational support, including the overall resource management of SAP modules. The focus would be to help the company to realize maximum value from their investment in SAP ERP & the ecosystem infrastructure. This role will become a part of the leadership team by providing "thought leadership" at a level of advanced business analysis and SAP leadership. This position will have the ability to clearly understand the business strategy and align the investments being made in our SAP ERP to ensure that company remains at the forefront and utilizes the latest techniques to support changing business needs. In addition to core business and SAP functional configuration skills directly related to this area, skills of the jobholder will be set apart by the ability to coach, guide and mentor teams, and take additional responsibility as needed. Proven experience in working with all levels of business effectively, ability to sustain the current environments and looking strategically to the future is a key requirement of the position. Furthermore a high degree of passion towards ‘customer centricity’ is a must for this position. A strong understanding of the SAP core technologies and the ability to work with peers in this area is a strong plus for this position.
Objectives & Measurement - Key Responsibilities
Key responsibilities for the position of SAP Director include:
- Overall responsibility for sustaining a SAP functional environment to support current revenue, future growth and agile SAP integration for acquisitions.
- Position the SAP organization as a strategic business partner by balancing short-term system requirements with long-term IT strategy and alignment with business unit priorities.
- Develop and deliver a long-term (3-5 years and beyond) SAP strategy.
- Work effectively with key business stakeholders to understand our business models and ensure that all integrated functional modules of SAP are configured optimally and are driving business value.
- Ability to exploit new functionality and improvements across core SAP functional modules, direct the configuration and deployment of such new functionality to drive business value across modules of SAP ERP
- Responsibility to manage, mentor, motivate, sustain a team of SAP functional consultants to support a wide variety of functionality across different SAP functional modules
- Lead the completion of the SAP rollout of SAP across the enterprise and support SAP once live. Direct the management of the rollout team ensuring staffing skills and numbers are aligned to rollout activities.
- Ensure the availability of a quality and robust SAP ERP functional environment to support business needs effectively.
- Direct the provision of level 2 and 3 SAP support via a global service desk ensuring that agreed SLAs are achieved. Ensure staffing skills and numbers are appropriate.
- Drive the SAP benefit realization project by taking the SAP rollout to the next level, capitalizing on the global platform and growing critical mass.
- Direct SAP remediation projects where specific recovery needs have been identified by senior management. Measure and close out.
- Run Steercoms with senior management ensuring that appropriate governance is provided by raising key issues and risks.
- Ensure that appropriate levels of governance, risk and controls surround the operational management of SAP, and that the annual audit continues to allow our auditors to place reliance on system controls.
- Oversee and ensure the integrity of the migration of the SAP hosting platform on a continuous basis, manage expenditure against Divisional SAP budgets – OPEX and CAPEX. Ensure OpCos understand, via the budget and forecasting process, all assigned costs and allocations.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Develop a long-term strategy for enterprise-wide SAP ERP ecosystem to support all functions of the business including sales, marketing, supply chain & finance in alignment with overall strategy.
- Manages the efforts of a team of SAP functional experts to maximize the effectiveness of the deployed solutions to support the business goals set by the company.
- Proven ability to understand the business model and various business process of the organization, the core application environments and bring about effective solutions to business using SAP ERP and its ecosystem.
- Develops, estimates and reviews project timelines, work plans, design documents, and deadlines of application teams.
- Leads multiple processes and oversee staff to ensure that specifications are met on time within budget.
- Ensures that effective communication is maintained between the business user community and the SAP ERP configuration teams.
- Participates in the evaluation of new and emerging functionality with particular focus in areas of SAP ERP functionality in addition to others in the SAP ecosystem.
- Demonstrates effective management ability in a multi-team, multi-application environment in a globally diversified organizational environment.
- Demonstrates capability to utilize best practices to support SAP ERP configurations across modules for the business.
- Demonstrates ability to provide a wide degree of creativity and latitude.
- Demonstrated commitment to Total Quality and the process of continuous improvement.
- Demonstrates ability to manage large projects/initiatives including project estimation, project planning, resource planning, project budget control and successful completion.
- Evaluates emerging technology solutions and applicability to support an effective SAP ERP ecosystem environment and to meet the demands of the business for information.
- Effectiveness of SAP ERP implementations
- Realization of SAP benefits and improvement of global supply chain processes
- Alignment of SAP ERP systems with Divisional Systems and Global Digital Transformation projects
- Provide global SAP support in line with agreed SLAs
Job Knowledge / Education and Qualifications
The ideal candidate will be an experienced information systems executive who understands sophisticated business processes, management and operational systems found in complex global organizations in a manufacturing and services environment. Preference will be given to those with an understanding of heavy capital intensive and/or manufacturing industries with a mix of sales, field service, extensive SAP manufacturing and supply chain experience and top-tier consulting experience (optional). The candidate must be a hands-on executive, in line with company's culture of execution.
The candidate must come with experience of SAP, including requirements analysis, business process design, system integration, vendor engagement/contract management, testing and implementation, as well as associated organizational change management. The candidate must be an expert in leveraging proven program and project management methodologies. International experience is desirable and a desire to work in a global context is required.
Education: Computer science Degree or equivalent and 5 plus years IT leadership management. 10+ Years’ experience of direct involvement in various roles in support of value realization by implementing SAP ERP in relevant areas for a large, global company.
- Demonstrative knowledge of successful implementations of SAP ERP functional modules, process, tools, technologies under a variety of environments and in particular in a SAP eco-system driven environment to support business needs.
- Strong customer service orientation is a must.
- Demonstrated leadership in the support of execution of strategic plans in a changing environment.
- Demonstrated expertise in leading a cross-functional, techno-functional team in planning and executing sizable projects and programs from inception to completion.
- Ability to proactively identify upcoming risks, issues, and bottlenecks and resolve issues that sometimes cross departmental boundaries.
- Ability to manage multiple projects concurrently including large and complex project programs as well as Operational projects
- Ability to lead, mentor and develop a technical team and functional staff to get the best out of the team to provide meaningful and useful solutions.
- Ability to collaborate effectively across all levels of the organization and with different organizational entities of a global organization.
Strong SAP systems management and implementation experience is required.
Excellent written and spoken English required. Experience working with an international company in an English speaking environment essential.
Advanced technical knowledge required.
General office with potentially frequent domestic and international travel.
Strategic Orientation: This role will have a forward-thinking perspective with a well-informed point of view on the changing role of information technology in supporting and enabling the business. S/He will have a strong grasp of business fundamentals and have the intellectual faculties and mindset to create the bridge between technology strategy and business strategy. S/He will have the capacity to clearly communicate to non-technical audiences, such as peer executives, field personnel, key customers / stakeholders and vendors. The ideal candidate will possess the proven ability to translate complex technology issues into terms that inform decision makers for the broader leadership audience enterprise-wide.
Collaboration and Influencing: Given the business and functional interdependencies across the organization that define success, the ideal candidate will have proven the ability to use the informal structure, dynamics and culture of an organization to get things done. This person will actively seek input in decision making and engage colleagues to make joint decisions for the benefit of the overall organization. The successful candidate will be an excellent communicator with strong influencing skills and the proven ability to challenge the status quo while maintaining a spirit of teamwork and camaraderie with superiors, peers and subordinates alike.
Results Orientation: The successful candidate will demonstrate an ability to drive a technology organization to high levels of performance as evidenced by a track record of consistent delivery and development of services and systems to support the business. S/He will set extremely high expectations of reliability / availability of IS infrastructure, responsiveness and engagement of IS staff, pace and urgency in implementing development programs and an intense awareness of the business benefits and cost-effectiveness of different technology solutions. S/He will tend to set stretch goals for performance and have excellent project management disciplines coupled with a personal inclination to drill into details and take corrective action early and decisively when projects are off track or people are not performing.
Team Leadership: The candidate must have hands-on experience managing both direct and indirect reports to create a seamless team environment. The successful candidate will also have demonstrated the ability to manage process and projects. In addition, the candidate must have the ability to attract and develop new talent in the organization and develop a cohesive and high performance IS team in a lean operating environment. He or she should be focused on coaching and mentoring his or her senior leadership team and consistently bring in best-in-class performers to ensure continued growth and success of the business.
Keywords: Pittsburgh, PA, Pennsvlvania, OH, Ohio, Midwest, SAP COE, SAP Program Management, Center of Excellence, Implementation, Global, Delivery, ECC 6.0, S/4 HANA, Business Transformation, FI/CO, MM, PP, SD, HCM, SuccessFactors, Ariba, GTS, IBP, eWM, APO, Supply Chain, Logistics, OTC, Order-to-Cash, ABAP, Enterprise Architecture, Enterprise Applications, BI etc.